St Albans Town Hall is a Grade II* listed civic building dating from 1826 by architect George Smith. It was designed to house a variety of civic functions including for public assemblies and it also accommodated the town’s court house.
With the building suffering from under-use, and the local town museum occupying a building that was both poorly located and failing to serve the museum’s requirements, a project was instigated to relocate the museum to the Town Hall building. This scheme needed to retain some civic functions in the Hall, but also to generate new activity with the museum co-located.
At HLF Round 1 stage, and working closely with the museum staff and town councillors, Mark Hammond led the team that produced the feasibility study and initial design proposals with his colleagues in his previous practice. This included a number of stakeholder workshops plus the research and production of a conservation statement on the Grade II* Town Hall.
Their work led directly to the successful award of the HLF grant for refurbishment of the building to accommodate the Museum. At HLF Round 2, the project was taken forward with Caroe Architecture Ltd as lead conservation architect in collaboration with John Mc Aslan and Partners. Caroe Architecture Ltd led on all aspects of heritage conservation and conservation planning. Oliver Caroe and his team produced the final comprehensive Conservation Management Plan which also included a full assessment of the museum collections and secured consents.