The Wedgwood Institute was built in 1865 as a place to run courses for the working men of Burslem on science, business and the arts. It was built in memory of Josiah Wedgewood, the 18th Century potter and philanthropist whose statue is the centre-piece of the front elevation.
The Grade II* Institute’s architectural significance lies in its decorative façade of elaborate brickwork and rich terracotta decoration. There are moulded figures showing the months of the year and panels illustrating the processes of pottery making.
The building has had a chequered history, including most recently being used as a public library. It is on the Historic England Buildings at Risk Register and has been listed as one of the top 10 most endangered Victorian buildings.
Caroe Architecture Ltd are the conservation architects working with a broad team including the Princes Regeneration Trust, the UK Historic Buildings Preservation Trust and Panter Hudspith to deliver a new sustainable use for the building.